Dogs at the Table

...or to put it another way, "Perish, priest!"

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Wings at the Airport

Another airport...Winnipeg this time...and I'm in a restaurant eating wings and drinking beer. It's a bit of a ritual with me when I travel...I LIKE wings (not too soupy, hot, battered) and I LIKE beer (a dark ale, preferably with a creamy head and lingering well rounded not too bitter aftertaste). The Winnipeg airport is doing well...the wings are better than average and a local ale (Fort Gary Dark) is excellent.

It is also a chance for me to reconnect with the electronic world after three days at a convent, albeit at an exorbitant price (Telus Hot Spot, $15.00 per day). 200 plus e-mails. A number of offers to "enlarge my member," "buy this stock which is about to go big," "take our latest survey -- all you have to do is supply your e-mail address" (as if), and "get laid tonight" (that's rather presumptuous, don't you think?). Amongst the junk were some diocesan notices that I should read, some meeting notices that I had to read, a couple of e-mail lists that I like to read, and some notes from friends that I was glad to read, more often than not because they required no response from me, but pointed me towards something they found amusing or relevant.

I think God gets a lot of p-mail (prayer-mail). A lot of it is junk, even more is self-serving drivel, too much is irrelevant, extravagant or extorting, and there are probably a few truly important bits that God takes seriously or mabe even finds amusing. I hope God has an up-to-date set of divine Norton's to filter out the spam! If God has to deal with all this stuff unaided (hey...that would be a good use for the cancelled angel of the "Touched by an Angel" TV show...or maybe Michael Landon...do you remember THAT show?), I do not envy God.

And I DO wonder if God has time for wings and beer?

Today's weigh-in: 227 lbs. Too many wings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home